Listen to the Form 1 Immersion Lesson I did with A Delectable Education, here! You can listen to an Immersion Lesson for Form 2, here!
- Begin with a sentence and work toward larger passages.
- Give the students any new words with which they might be unfamiliar–orally. Use pictures and/or gestures when giving the word as often as possible. Have them listen to and repeat the words.
- Read the sentence or passage bit by bit in the target language, stopping to have the students translate it with your help.
- Once you have finished the passage, ask the students to tell it back to you in English.
- Read it through once more in the target language, this time without stopping.
From School Education, page 345
- Read the passage slowly and distinctly, stopping frequently to make sure that the children understand. Write the new words and expressions on the board and give their meanings.
- Let the children repeat the story in English.
- Read the passage straight through.
- Let the children read the passage, paying special attention to the pronunciation.
- Have the passage narrated in French, helping the children when necessary with questions.
- Speak as much French as possible throughout, but always make sure that the pupils understand.
More advanced students would be reading and narrating on their own.